by Kimberly McCallen
As the days get cooler and become shorter, you may find yourself hibernating inside. Staying inside too long can result in cabin fever, winter blues, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), or even depression. Don’t let winter keep you from enjoying family time together. There are many winter activities your family can enjoy. Fresh air, sunshine, and physical activity can help you conquer this winter.
- Take a drive and look at the snowy scenery.
- Have an indoor campout. Put up a tent or build one with blankets.
- Make a birdfeeder for feathered friends who stay the winter.
- Bundle up and go for a walk in the snow.
- Create a snowman or snow sculpture. Make sure the snow is packable for best results.
- Build a winter bon fire and have smores and hot chocolate.
- Paint the snow rainbow colors. All you need is a spray bottle, food dye, and water.
- Make a snow maze or obstacle course and have timed relay races.
- Have a snowball battle.
- Visit a Christmas Tree Farm. See List Here.
- Drive around your neighborhood and look at Christmas lights.
- Check out “WV’s Best Christmas Light Shows”. See List Here.
- Try one of these Indoor Activities: bowling, rock climbing, swimming, take an art or music class, roller skating, join a gym, walk on an indoor track.
- See our Family-friendly calendar for events going on all over the state.
- WV offers many great locations with these fun winter activities:
- Snow Tubing
- Down Hill Skiing
- Cross-country Skiing
- Sleigh Rides
- Snowmobile Tours
- Snowcat Tours
- Offroad Adventure Tours
- Longest sled run on the East Coast
West Virginia’s Family-friendly Winter Resorts:
- Canaan Valley Resort State Park – Canaan Valley, WV. www.canaanresort.com
- Snowshoe Mountain Resort – Snowshoe, WV. www.snowshoemtn.com
- Timberline Four Season Resort – Davis, WV. www.timberlineresort.com
- Winterplace Ski Resort – Ghent, WV. www.winterplace.com
Blackwater Falls State Park – Davis, WV. **NEW** (Grand Opening – 1/21/15) – longest sled run on the East Coast with new Wonder Carpet conveyor system to take sledders effortlessly back to the top. www.blackwaterfalls.com.
Ice-skating Arenas in WV
- Morgantown Ice Arena – BOPARC, Morgantown, WV. Public skate, Sunday is Family Day, Locker Room Party Rentals, Totsickles, Learn to Skate Program. www.boparc.org
- South Charleston Memorial Ice Arena – located at the Shops of Trace Fork, Charleston, WV. Open year round. Public skating, lessons, clinics, birthday parties. http://cityofsouthcharleston.com/memorial-ice-arena/
- Memorial Skating Rink – Wheeling Park, 1801 National Road, Wheeling, WV. Lessons, private lessons, skate club, figure skating, hockey leagues, adult pick-up hockey. www.wheeling-park.com
- Synthetic Ice Skating Rink – Grand Vue Park, 250 Trail Drive, Moundsville, WV. Year-round ice rink. Open Saturdays and Sundays from 2pm until 5pm. http://grandvuepark.com/
What is your favorite winter activity? Do you have an activity that your family does every year as a family tradition? We would love to hear about it! Please comment below!