A recent study by UNC Charlotte showed that burglars typically spend no more than one minute breaking into a home and fewer than 10 minutes inside. Although they work quickly, burglars have a keen eye for valuable possessions. The FBI reports that each home burglary victim suffers an average of $2,188 in property loss.
Here are the top six most coveted possessions according to a recent study.
- Illegal Drugs
- Prescription Drugs
- Clothing and Shoes
To keep your home and personal property safe this season (and all year), these are deterrents to burglars.
- Proximity to people (someone seeing or hearing the break in.
- Lack of escape routes.
- Indicators of security (alarm signs, dogs, neighborhood watch programs, outside cameras, or other surveillance equipment. (Most burglars try to determine if an alarm is present before attempting a burglary.)
Other Important Facts You Should Know:
- Male burglars often planned their burglaries more deliberately and carefully, and were more likely to visit a potential target ahead of time to gather intelligence.
- Males preferred to focus on businesses in the late evenings.
- Females preferred to burglarize homes and residences in the afternoon timeframe.
- Just under a third of the offenders reported that they collected information about a potential target prior to initiating a burglary attempt.
- Most burglars entered open windows or doors, or forced windows or door open.
Please follow and like us: