“Sometimes we forget how important a good old hug can be,” says leading stress relief expert and author of the children’s book – The Big Book of Hugs, Nick Ortner
Research shows the many benefits of a hug. In addition to boosting immunity, heart health, and increasing interpersonal connection, hugging is easy and accessible. Studies indicate that babies who are hugged, often experience less stress as adults, and that hugging becomes more beneficial as we age.
Ortner reports, “Having spent years helping people around the world live healthier lives through the method of ‘Tapping’ for mental and physical health issues, I discovered the power of hugging. One of the simplest and most powerful forms of stress relief is something we are hardwired to do – hug. Sometimes we forget how important a good old hug can be.”
According to research, hugs lasting 20 seconds offer the most benefit, especially when accompanied by 10 minutes of hand holding. Together, this natural “touch therapy” with loved ones has been shown to reduce levels of the “stress hormone” cortisol while increasing the amount of the “feel good hormone” oxytocin in the body.
Even a 10-second hug can reduce stress, lower risk of heart disease, boost immunity, ease depression, and more.
Ortner’s children’s book The Big Book Of Hugs: A Barkley The Bear Story, entertains and teaches kids and their parents, just how much a hug can mean for both the giver and receiver.
These are the top ten benefits of hugging:
- Hugs help children feel loved.
- Hugs help children feel safe and build trust.
- Hugs improve pulmonary and immune system functions.
- Hugs improve sleep patterns.
- Hugs lower anxiety and stress.
- Hugs strengthen digestive, circulatory and gastrointestinal systems
- Hugs lower feelings of loneliness, isolation and anger by instantly boosting oxytocin levels.
- Long hugs boost serotonin levels, making you happier.
- Hugs teach us how to give and receive.
- Hugs teach us how to be present in the moment.
Ortner is the founder of The Tapping Solution Foundation in Newtown, CT, which has helped heal millions of people around the world. Ortner’s goal is to empower people of all ages to create healthy, abundant and stress-free lives via his commitment to spreading a message of hope, healing and joy. For more about The Big Book Of Hugs
Please follow and like us: